ABC this Sunday evening revived Supermarket Sweep, hosted by SNL vet Leslie Jones. Did the most recent model of the favored sport show ring your register?
In protecting with a minimum of the latest variations of the show (I do not bear in mind that far again, children), Supermarket Swayyyyyyyp! takes three groups of two contestants, plies them with grocery-themed quizzes/challenges by means of which they’ll add seconds to their “clock,” after which units them unfastened on a Big Sweep by means of a grocery store. (Based on the overall seconds every group amassed, their Big Sweep begin instances are staggered — which means, amongst different issues, the primary pair out of the gate will get first crack on the priciest gadgets. If they know what they’re doing.)
To refresh my reminiscence of #BeforeInstances, after watching one episode of ABC’s revival I cued up a 1994 episode hosted by David Ruprecht in one among his famously loud sweaters. And whereas that version and the brand new one are clearly equivalent in construction, listed below are a number of the variations that stood out to me:
* Now, every group chooses a “identify” (e.g. Team Sugar) that they’ve to elucidate. (Speaking of which, as with many a primetime sport show today, the casting division right here is aiming for Over. The. Top.)
* Before, the in-game quizzes have been typically based mostly on product identify scrambles utilizing probably the most primary of on-screen graphics. Now, you additionally get very modern challenges, reminiscent of figuring out a product based mostly on its courting app profile. There’s additionally a emblem identification sport which leaves Jones to ship such scintillating play-by-play as “OK, there is a yellow circle….”
* Not part of the brand new version (a minimum of up to now) is the snoozy sport the place a group’s gamers face one another at a podium and “assemble” a product identify one letter at a time, based mostly off of $100,000 Pyramid-like clues.
* The Big Sweep nonetheless consists of established bonus gadgets price massive bucks… inflatables which are unwieldy to tote whereas pushing a cart however are price thriller quantities… and time-sucking stops that demand sensible clock administration. (Back then, it could possibly be a self-serve fro-yo station; now it is a flower stand run by a comically lackadaisical clerk).
* Just as David Ruprecht would problem the groups to fulfil his personal, small private buying listing, Jones does identical.
* The potential payday at stake now’s clearly a lot greater. In 1994, you perhaps gained $5,000. Here, the group that wins the Big Sweep can prettily simply proceed to win $25K within the Super Sweep bonus spherical (now 5 clues versus three), although they’re then dared to danger all of it in a second and even third spherical — constructing to a possible $100,000 jackpot.
Watching the brand new and Nineteen Nineties variations back-to-back, I could not assist however really feel just like the Big Sweep was much more frantic, with group members lobbing costly slabs of beef into their carts — and that was much more enjoyable to observe. The new model is so slick and so excessive gloss (the shelving is tricked out with LED gentle strips) that it feels so synthetic (filmed COVID-safely in a 35,000-square-foot hangar on the Santa Monica airport) and by no means like an actual market with grungy linoleum flooring.
Similarly, Jones’ play-by-play voiceover for the Big Sweep is not but as polished (or as insightful) because the earlier model’s (by announcer Johnny Gilbert?), however that’s maybe one thing that fine-tunes itself over time.
What did you consider ABC’s Supermarket Sweep revival?