Newcastle United returned to Premier League motion this weekend, with Chelsea being the guests to St James’ Park.

The recreation, kicking off at 12.30pm on Saturday, was as soon as once more being staged behind closed doorways as a consequence of the ongoing Covid-19 disaster.

It’s a far cry from previous encounters between the two golf equipment which might normally be performed out in the midst of a raucous ambiance at a packed Gallowgate.

Newcastle versus London. North versus South. Geordie versus Cockney. There was usually a little bit of needled concerned. And the followers of each golf equipment wouldn’t all the time see eye to eye.

Our {photograph} takes us again to the early 1980s when it was commonplace to see blue flashing lights and police escorting visiting followers en masse via the streets of Newcastle metropolis centre when there was a recreation on.

On this specific day, September 11, 1982, round 1,000 Chelsea followers had been marched from Manors station to St James’s Park – and marched again after the recreation.

Dropping off away supporters at Manors, in the East End, fairly than the busy Central Station prevented the troublesome potential of fisticuffs between rival followers in the metropolis centre.

On the pitch, a wholesome crowd for the time – 29,084 – watched the Second Division recreation. The Magpies – who included latest signing Kevin Keegan – needed to make do with a 1-1 draw with Chelsea, due to a Jeff Clarke purpose.

But it was issues off the pitch which had been of extra concern to the police and they had been stepping up their presence.

It was a time when soccer hooliganism was thought to be a blight on the recreation and ceaselessly made the headlines.

The Chronicle reported how the earlier fixture between the golf equipment, in March of that yr, had seen “5 policemen injured as Newcastle followers rampaged via the metropolis centre in an effort to ambush Chelsea supporters who had been being escorted to their prepare at Manors station.

“Youths jumped down 20ft parapets of the Central Motorway as they battled with police.”

But there was extra trouble at the September match. We reported how “40 followers had been arrested regardless of an enormous police presence which prevented a full repeat of final season’s violent scenes when United met the London membership”.

As for the soccer itself, Newcastle would end fifth in Division Two at the finish of this marketing campaign and miss out on promotion. (They would go up the following season, impressed by Kevin Keegan and two massively proficient native kids, Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley).

As for Chelsea, they might finish the 1982-83 approach down in 18th place in soccer’s second tier. The Roman Abramovich years had been a good distance in the future.



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here